I have decided to take a break from the Sutras for July to celebrate my birthday (I am a Leo after all). Last year my dear friend, V, wrote a list of things to do to celebrate her. I did this last year and had such a blast I’m doing it again. If you do any of them let me know! I would love to hear.
1. Write down 3 things you love about yourself.
2. Tell someone else those 3 things.
3. Write a love letter to someone.
4. Ask someone for forgiveness.
5. Go swimming in the lake.
6. Go screen-free for 24 hours.
7. Do a lovingkindness practice. Here is one if you would like some guidance (it is only 10 minutes).
8. Buy yourself an ice cream cone and enjoy every moment of it.
9. Give $1 to a homeless person.
10. Write down 10 things you are grateful for.
11. Tell someone (a safe person) something vulnerable.
12. Cook a meal for someone else.
13. Come to class next week at Rainier Beach Yoga to do 36 sun salutations (Tuesday evening and Thursday morning only).
14. Do your own home practice.
15. Turn up your favorite song really loud and dance.
16. Listen to this podcast about spirituality and racism.
17. Read this letter and sign if it resonates with you.
18. Check out this workshop for white folks standing up for racial justice.
19. Read the book There is Nothing Wrong with You by Cheri Huber.
20. Read Lovingkindness by Sharon Salzberg.
21. Give someone a hug.
22. Take a social media fast (1 day, 1 week or 1 month). Tell me what you noticed.
23. Lie in the sunshine and do nothing.
24. Support a farmer’s market.
25. Give someone a high five.
26. Pet a dog or a cat or another furry being.
27. Donate to a cause you believe in. Here are a few that I love: Facing Homelessness, Missing Pet Partnership and The Doney Clinic.
28. Go to a yoga teacher you have never studied with. Tell me what you learned.
29. If you see a dog wandering the streets take a picture and post it to your neighborhood facebook page.
30. Sign up for the next 6-week series on Lovingkindness starting Thursday, July 30 from 5-6pm.
31. Say no to something that you do not want to do.
32. The next time you go out to eat tip the server more than you usually would.
33. Buy flowers for your home.
34. Paint your toenails. Better yet, go get a pedicure.
35. Go fruit picking.
36. Buy flowers for someone else.